Thursday, January 7, 2010

I was not too Savvy

A Mer-person, or at least this mer-person, has to adapt in many ways to the terra-world. One way is that issue of beauty and popularity. Just as teachers find A's more aesthetically pleasing, and insist that being an A is better than being a B, school kids have their own way of grading to separate better from worse.

Can you guess? I was worse.

Who knew that curves were bad and playing sports well was good. Straight hair was good and wild curls were out. Picking sides was in, and fluidity between dichotomies, the essence of being mer, was seen as wishy-washy.

So I was worse with the girls and good with the boys when I was little and shape or size did not matter, and then worse with the boys and the girls when shape did. Then, for some unknown reason I was good with the boys, who were now men, and later, much later, I was good with both. So odd. I have still have not figured this out, but I have adapted.

I have found that sailing (or swimming) in the directions of my dreams without concern about who is following me, or why they would want to, and without concern about where others are leading, is the best solution. The roads others take do not lead where I am headed.

So where am I headed?

No comments:

Post a Comment